If you're something close to my age, you probably remember this really popular TV special called Free to Be You and Me starring Marlo Thomas and Friends. When I was a kid, people used to tell us that we could be whatever we wanted to be … And that was okay! Yay!!! Even then, I wasn't so stupid as to think that I could be the Queen of England or anything since, obviously, that job was already taken. But I think that a lot of us took the whole Free to Be You and Me message thing to heart …
Unfortunately, now that I am firmly into my fourth decade here on the planet, it is increasingly clear to me that there are some things that I will never BE … Take for example, the fact that I spent about an hour last night looking through all of the different blog design options on Vox before finally settling on one that I thought looked pretty cool. Originally, I just picked the one that I use because I didn't know what I was doing and the Los Angeles Cityscape is what appeared on the screen. It's not my favorite, but it served its purpose so I didn't change it until last night. Here's where it gets weird … I had to just change it back because it just didn't look right when I signed into my Vox page. What does that have to do with what I want to BE you ask? Well you see, I have always admired people who are carefree, love life, and who take on new things in life without acquiring facial ticks or ulcers. I wish with all my heart that I could BE one of those people, but … Alas … I am of the facial tick and ulcer crowd.
Here's some other examples of what I would want to BE (at least if all of these things didn't take so much damned effort and stuff or take some kind of other aptitude, like talent …)!
- I want to be one of those people who can change their Vox page every other day and not obsess about the colors looking strange to the point where I have to change it back.
- I want to be one of those people who can wear unusual hats and look cool instead of sadly out of place.
- I want to be one of those people on What Not to Wear who gets a Bank of American with $5000 on their name on it and gets to go shopping in New York with Clinton and Stacy, then get their hair cut by Nick (I'll pass on the whole Carmendy thing … Thanks much …) except that I'll probably be like that lady from Los Angeles who had a melt down and burst into tears when they were throwing away her stuff … And besides … I have a penis and they don't seem to have too many of those on that show …
- I want to be retired. I like my job a lot, but I'm sorry, working just plain sucks.
- I want to be someone who can eat a crapload of carbs and still have abs.
- I want to be someone who can play piano at parties so that people can sing along, but I hate practicing stuff and seriously, I go to bed at 9:00 so how many parties are there gonna be …
- I want to be someone who is bilingual … But, then I can barely speak English so taking on a second language might be a stretch.
- I want to be a faster reader. I mean, compared to most people I probably read a lot, but I read it very SLOWLY …
There's probably more things that I would like to be but I'm going to go see what's on TV now.
2 thoughts on “on being free to BE …”
I want to be retired. I like my job a lot, but I'm sorry, working just plain sucks.I want to be someone who can eat a crapload of carbs and still have abs.Nice!!!